Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sautéed Tomatoes in Olive Oil and Rosemary over Mafaldine Pasta


Over at I Heart Cooking Clubs the theme of the week is: In My Pasta Bowl... and in my pasta bowl there was a delicious mingling of flavors with Tessa Kiros recipe for Sautéed Tomatoes in Olive Oil and Rosemary (from her book Apples for Jam on page 46) served over mafaldine pasta. Mafaldine pasta noodles are long and thin mini ruffled lasagna type noodles that are just perfect for sopping up juicy sauces, they are one of my favorite pasta shapes and the kids love them too.


The tomatoes I used in this recipe are extra special since they are from my husband's grandmother's farm and were her last batch of the season. Picky husband hates tomatoes, but he gladly accepted their tomato offer while he was over fixing grandma's computer the other day because he knows I love them! There are a lot of great tomato recipes in Tessa's book Apples for Jam and this is another one. These are suggested to be served over toasted bread, with a meat main course, or as a way to dress pasta, and that's what I did. The rosemary is also pretty special because it is my first time using fresh rosemary from my very own rosemary plant, way to go herb garden :) I've had the plant all summer but had not used it at all, now that I have my own stash I will have to be on the lookout for more fresh rosemary recipes!



Sautéed Tomatoes in Olive Oil and Rosemary
Tessa Kiros -- Apples for Jam
About 6 ripe and firm but juicy medium tomatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and squashed a bit
2 small rosemary sprigs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional -- I left off the pepper)

Cut the tomatoes into quarters from top to bottom. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and add the tomatoes, garlic, and rosemary sprigs. Cook over quite high heat at first, until the undersides of the tomatoes are deep golden. (the golden color was a little tough to achieve for me) Turn them gently. The skins may be loosening a but, which doesn't matter - just try to keep them as intact as possible. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper if you like.



Lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the juice from the tomatoes mingles with the oil and makes a syrup in the bottom of the pan. If the garlic cloves seem to be getting too dark, just sit them on top of one of the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes have a lovely color and look roasted rather than boiled. (a little unsure if I achieved this desired effect, but they were delicious so I'm not complaining) Serve warm or even at room temperature. Serves 5.



While the tomatoes were cooking I was also boiling up a pot of pasta. I drained it and tossed it with a little butter to prevent sticky noodle syndrome and ladled over some sautéed tomatoes and their delicious sauce.


Topped with some freshly shredded parmigiano reggiano, I don't think you could ask for a better filling for your pasta bowl :)

8 comments:

Michelle B said...

I like the looks of this! Simple, fresh ingredients, great flavors. Definitely my kind of dish--and something my family would like too.

Kayte said...

Looks so fresh and delicious! I love tomatoes...must mark this one. Very pretty, too, isn't it?

NKP said...

Great score on the 'maters!
And I love the pasta shape, I haven't used those before. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
Looks like a wonderful dish!

Yrene MWCAdventure said...

I really love tomatoes, but my boyfriend hated them. But nowadays he is starting to like them. lucky for me.
love your dish!

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I bet this was just all the better with that last rich batch of homegrown tomatoes. I love dishes like this. Perfection :D

Kim said...

This certainly looks like a good way to use up the very last of the homegrown tomatoes. I'm in love with that pasta shape!

Mika said...

Can't get any fresher that that! Beautiful pasta bowl choice!

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks so fresh and lovely! I need to keep an eye out for that pasta--I want to try it. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails